The short descriptions give a flavour of the nine Enneagram types attributes: The names offered are indicative of the “Roles” each type projects. (eg: Reformers, Helpers, Enthusiasts etc.)
The subsequent two words in bold, are examples of key attributes each type aspires to be identified with. They could be said to be what the ego is attempting to emulate. The following words reveal aspects of our nature we may not desire to see, or are able to acknowledge, as they are the degree to which we can become more egocentric - leading to the more dysfunctional versions of the type. (see WOE - Levels of Development -page 13)
Basic Ground Rules
- We have all Nine Types as a resource, and can exhibit both healthy and unhealthy aspects of all nine types.
- Our basic personality type is a default coping mechanism, and thus will be the more 'Dominant' traits of personality that is expressed. Especially when under stress and less "mindful"
- Our basic personality type will also be how we see ourselves, and often limit our own attitudes and behaviours.
- There are no better or worse Enneagram types,
- The attitudes and types are gender neutral.
- Your basic personality type is considered to be constant throughout your life, you do not necessarily change type, but can and will express other personality types in different contexts.
- You can shift in respect to the levels.
- In relationships, no type combination is better that any other—Levels are more significant.
- In finding your basic type, you need to identify the less “healthy” qualities, average traits as well as healthy ones.
Source Material copyright Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson. Enneagram Institute