An entirely new approach to the Enneagram for working with groups, Business-teams and working or relationships
The 9D Approachsm: Profound Yet Simple
The Nine Domains Approachsm is a fresh way to work with groups as the specific, living, changing organisms that they actually are not as generic entities.
It is an approach that recognizes nine fundamental elements that must be present and in balance for a system to survive and thrive. As such, this approach becomes a check list for completeness and can be applied to the variety of developmental dynamics.
- To enhance and develop the dynamics of a team.
- The analysis of a particular problem.
- The evaluation of an entire complex situation.
- Crisis in a relationship, and to see how well it is functioning
Holistic & Universal
The Enneagram Domains Approachsm addresses a human tendency to emphasize certain aspects of a relationship or context while minimizing, even ignoring others.
Many professionals who work with teams develop workable lists of important considerations for solving problems. Invariably such lists will be based on their own history, limitations, and biases.
In Complex Systems
Nine Domains can be viewed from the perspective of how Nature handles complexity.
Plants, animals, birth and growth of all organisms are governed by essential principles. So are music, art, communities, governments. Indeed, principles govern all complex, interdependent systems where growth is possible.
In the Business World
The Nine Domains Approach is especially valuable in business because results can be applied objectively and quickly, across the range of an entire group of any size, and solutions to problems can be designed which are highly specific for the group(s) or relationships involved.
The Nine Domains Approach does not focus on quick fixes but on perceiving and understanding the fundamental elements of the system being studied so that improvements are real and can be maintained for the long-term.
The Nine Domains Approach focuses on the elements that need changing objectively (for example, not because of the subjective bias of a consultant, coach or manager) Strengths are identified and reinforced- weaknesses can be addressed in a more beneficial, less threatening way. Thus any change to the system is measurable, realistic and more sustainable.
The Nine Domains and The Enneagram
Whilst the Nine Domains Approach is based on the Enneagram personality typology, It is worth noting that the Domains are more easily applied in the business world than the personality types. The Domains approach is not about identifying the personality types of the individuals in a team (which may cause problems such as pigeon-holing people, thinking in stereotypes, creating self-fulfilling prophesizes, arousing biases, and so forth to name just a few of the problems of the personality type approach). Instead, the Domains are about the team itself, not about individuals.
This Approach works by taking all of the highest, archetypal qualities of the types into account simultaneously so that we can see how the team as a whole is embodying all significant capacities and values at any given time.
The Enneagram and the Nine Domains
For the past 40 years, the Enneagram has been used worldwide to understand one of the most complex systems in the universe human nature. Many Riso-Hudson findings about individual human personality are directly transferable to group dynamics, as reflected in The Nine Domains Approachsm.
Don Riso who conceptualized The Nine Domains Approach, is respected throughout the world for his work with the Enneagram. With his writing and teaching partner, Russ Hudson, they have discovered many previously unknown aspects of the Enneagram. They are known for conceptual breakthroughs in Enneagram theory that have wide-ranging practical applications.
The Riso-Hudson tradition of profound insights, creative thinking, clear writing, and engaging teaching are carried forward by the Nine Domains Group (Monika Adelfang, Barry Coltham, Joni Peddie, and Joyce Stenstrom)
The Key Learning of a Nine Domains workshop:
- The manifestations of the 9 domain principle in teams, relationships and other areas of life, as essential functions.
- The Levels Of Function & how the 9D levels of function can be identified in teams and relationships as manifestation of the Levels of development
- What is a domains chart , its value and practice in how creating them in different contexts
- Various descriptive attitudes and behaviours of the 9D levels of functioning and the nine domains
- How the 9D approach mirrors the Virtues and Real Qualities of the nine types in a way that avoids unhelpful labelling, individual blame and judgmental attitudes.
The Aim of this Workshop
This workshop is an introduction to the 9D approach so that participants can begin to work with the concepts in their personal and professional life.
Attending this workshop will support participants in deciding whether to invest in the full 9d facilitator training. As a new approach, derived from the Enneagram, it is evolving and being influenced by those pioneering consultants, coaches and facilitators who are beginning to integrate the concepts into their existing disciplines. From one perspective, the 9D approach can be considered as an organising tool bag, in which to place existing disciplines, and identify what might be missing.
The Nine Domains Benefit
- The values of an organisation and its operational behaviours are more clearly understood by mapping them to the Nine Domains. It develops a common language and metric for the development of training programs and policies that are internally consistent and coherent.
- The 9D Approachsm allows a full accounting of all of the components of the team as a system, with a depth and clarity not heretofore possible before. The 9D Approachsm provides a limited but meaningful list of components necessary and sufficient for organisms to exist and thrive.
- The 9D Approachsm is deceptively simple and t measures a group or team by means of our core survey, the TOLATsm.
* Our Nine Domains Workshops are not the facilitator training course. They do not teach or allow participants to administer the TOLAT. but it will support understanding and the possibility for attending the TOLAT facilitator training, or working with an accredited 9D, TOLAT facilitator within an organisation or team.
Anyone can take the TOLAT Survey as an individual, on the 9D website. But all team TOLATS need can only be administered and interpreted by an accredited 9D Facilitator, like Grahame Morgan-Watson, who has attended the training.
Grahame Morgan-Watson, is a Enneagram Institute Authorised Teachers licensed by Don Riso and Russ Hudson, to deliver this workshop. Grahame is a Riso-Hudson certified Enneagram Teacher (Hons) and an INLPTA certified Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming.SHARE